Home » News » Public Safety
Meredith businessman injured in Vt. hit-and-run
MEREDITH - A local business owner suffered a broken leg when he was intentionally struck by a motorist on Interstate 91 in Hartland, Vt. early Saturday morning.
Dean Mason, owner of Mason Marine Construction, was in good condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center after suffering a broken femur and injuries to both legs when a driver struck him as he was pouring fuel into his truck on the side of an I-91 off-ramp about 2 a.m.
Mason said he had run out of gas and another motorist had given him a ride to get fuel. After he returned to his truck and was pouring fuel in the tank, Mason said, a man driving a mid-sized car drove by.
"He shouted something like, 'Buy a Chevy!' as he went by," Mason said from his hospital bed Wednesday morning.
A few minutes later, the same vehicle approached again, according to Mason.
"It was the same guy, only this time he came right at me," Mason said.
The driver smashed into Mason, hitting him in the legs and abdomen. "I don't know if it was road rage or what," Mason said. "But he drove right into me and ended up pinching me between my truck and his door, and then he drove off."
Mason was taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock and treated, and he said he hopes to go home to Meredith by this weekend.
A Vermont State Police spokesman said the incident is under investigation and police are looking for the driver of the mid-sized black sedan that hit Mason.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact the Vermont State Police at the Royalton barracks at (802) 234-9933. Vermont police are urging the driver to come forward to face possible criminal charges.
Mason said he expects the driver to be caught.
"He did so much damage to his car, the passenger-side windshield was blown out and his door is badly damaged, so they should be able to find him," Mason said.
- - - - - - - -
Dan Seufert may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 1
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 1
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance