Home » Opinion » Editorials
AARP, listen up: Ayotte's words of wisdom
AARP is doing neither those it claims to represent, current senior citizens, nor the nation at large any favors with its position that Social Security and Medicare as now constituted must continue to have the expiration date of a Twinkie. That is to say, never.
The AARP, having spent millions on ads to defend the status quo during the recent election, is now spending more trying to get people to tell their congressmen not to even think about reviewing future entitlement levels while they are driving off the so-called fiscal cliff.
Both the continued unstable, recession-ready economy and longterm fiscal outlook are bad for current seniors as well as future ones. As U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte noted in her national radio address last Saturday:
"The nation will need to start reforming entitlements going forward to make sure the safety net is there for future generations. One thing is clear: Doing nothing is not an option. And any effort to address our fiscal crisis without including entitlement reform can't be taken seriously.''
If the AARP doesn't smarten up, it cannot be taken seriously.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- K of C Council 92 installs officers - 0
- Buddhist temple plan in Peterborough advances - 0
- Helping of gratitude fills day in Holderness - 0
- Veterans Briefs: Seabee barbecue at vets home - 0
- Jr. Legion Tournament: Dover takes title, but Bedford earns regional berth - 0
- Vermont rallies to top Swamp Bats - 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
Vermont rallies to top Swamp Bats
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'