Home » Opinion » Editorials
AARP, listen up: Ayotte's words of wisdom
AARP is doing neither those it claims to represent, current senior citizens, nor the nation at large any favors with its position that Social Security and Medicare as now constituted must continue to have the expiration date of a Twinkie. That is to say, never.
The AARP, having spent millions on ads to defend the status quo during the recent election, is now spending more trying to get people to tell their congressmen not to even think about reviewing future entitlement levels while they are driving off the so-called fiscal cliff.
Both the continued unstable, recession-ready economy and longterm fiscal outlook are bad for current seniors as well as future ones. As U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte noted in her national radio address last Saturday:
"The nation will need to start reforming entitlements going forward to make sure the safety net is there for future generations. One thing is clear: Doing nothing is not an option. And any effort to address our fiscal crisis without including entitlement reform can't be taken seriously.''
If the AARP doesn't smarten up, it cannot be taken seriously.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads