Home » Opinion » Editorials
AARP, listen up: Ayotte's words of wisdom
AARP is doing neither those it claims to represent, current senior citizens, nor the nation at large any favors with its position that Social Security and Medicare as now constituted must continue to have the expiration date of a Twinkie. That is to say, never.
The AARP, having spent millions on ads to defend the status quo during the recent election, is now spending more trying to get people to tell their congressmen not to even think about reviewing future entitlement levels while they are driving off the so-called fiscal cliff.
Both the continued unstable, recession-ready economy and longterm fiscal outlook are bad for current seniors as well as future ones. As U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte noted in her national radio address last Saturday:
"The nation will need to start reforming entitlements going forward to make sure the safety net is there for future generations. One thing is clear: Doing nothing is not an option. And any effort to address our fiscal crisis without including entitlement reform can't be taken seriously.''
If the AARP doesn't smarten up, it cannot be taken seriously.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos