Home » Opinion » Editorials
AARP, listen up: Ayotte's words of wisdom
AARP is doing neither those it claims to represent, current senior citizens, nor the nation at large any favors with its position that Social Security and Medicare as now constituted must continue to have the expiration date of a Twinkie. That is to say, never.
The AARP, having spent millions on ads to defend the status quo during the recent election, is now spending more trying to get people to tell their congressmen not to even think about reviewing future entitlement levels while they are driving off the so-called fiscal cliff.
Both the continued unstable, recession-ready economy and longterm fiscal outlook are bad for current seniors as well as future ones. As U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte noted in her national radio address last Saturday:
"The nation will need to start reforming entitlements going forward to make sure the safety net is there for future generations. One thing is clear: Doing nothing is not an option. And any effort to address our fiscal crisis without including entitlement reform can't be taken seriously.''
If the AARP doesn't smarten up, it cannot be taken seriously.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 41
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 72
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 6
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 18
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help