Home » Opinion » Editorials
AARP, listen up: Ayotte's words of wisdom
AARP is doing neither those it claims to represent, current senior citizens, nor the nation at large any favors with its position that Social Security and Medicare as now constituted must continue to have the expiration date of a Twinkie. That is to say, never.
The AARP, having spent millions on ads to defend the status quo during the recent election, is now spending more trying to get people to tell their congressmen not to even think about reviewing future entitlement levels while they are driving off the so-called fiscal cliff.
Both the continued unstable, recession-ready economy and longterm fiscal outlook are bad for current seniors as well as future ones. As U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte noted in her national radio address last Saturday:
"The nation will need to start reforming entitlements going forward to make sure the safety net is there for future generations. One thing is clear: Doing nothing is not an option. And any effort to address our fiscal crisis without including entitlement reform can't be taken seriously.''
If the AARP doesn't smarten up, it cannot be taken seriously.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations