Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox have deal in place with OF Gomes
Within the next few days, the Red Sox' outfield may get a little deeper.
The Red Sox have an agreement in place with free agent Jonny Gomes on a two-year contract, with a physical exam still pending, an industry source confirmed Wednesday. Gomes, who turns 32 today, batted .262 with 18 homers, 47 RBI and a career-high .377 on-base percentage in 333 plate appearances for the Oakland Athletics this year.
Regarded as a positive clubhouse presence, Gomes spent six seasons with the Tampa Bay Rays before bouncing between three teams (Cincinnati, Washington, Oakland) over the past two years. In 10 major league seasons, he's a career .244 hitter with a .334 on-base percentage, .455 slugging percentage, 136 homers and 411 RBI.
It's unclear how the Red Sox would use Gomes, who plays left field and right field but has been a part-time player for most of his career. A right-handed hitter with pull power that figures to suit Fenway Park, Gomes has gotten at least 400 at-bats in a season only once, in 2010 with the Reds. Thus, there's a strong possibility the Red Sox could utilize him in a platoon with a left-handed-hitting outfielder such as Ryan Kalish or even switch-hitting Daniel Nava, who had far better splits this season from the left side of the plate (.269/.383/.414 compared to .185/.280/.333 as a right-handed hitter).
Moreover, the addition of Gomes wouldn't preclude the Red Sox from adding other outfielders, including potentially re-signing Cody Ross. In fact, general manager Ben Cherington has said numerous times that the club is in the market for a pair of everyday outfielders to flank center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 18
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize