Home » News » Public Safety
Dog saves lives, but dies in Manchester fire
MANCHESTER - Mason, a 9-year-old Italian mastiff, died Thursday after saving the lives of the owners of a Sheffield Road home that caught fire early Thursday, District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said.
"We're all pretty heartbroken," said Brooke Boudakian, whose father, Charles, owns the 475 Sheffield Road home that was destroyed Thanksgiving morning. "She was very loved. It was a pretty heroic thing that she did."
A cat also died in the blaze, which destroyed a garage before spreading to the home about 4 a.m. Thursday, Gamache said.
Gamache said the Fire Department has special breathing masks for animals that were donated by the company O2 Fur Life. The animals were found lying next to each other, he said.
"The animals were given oxygen and first aid on the front lawn, unfortunately both animals did not survive," Gamache said. "The pet dog who perished was credited with awakening the occupants of the home, in essence saving their lives."
Brooke Boudakian said she was 11 years old when her family brought Mason, who was one of 13 puppies in her litter, home in 2003.
"She loved playing outside with her toys. She also loved sleeping and loved going for rides," she said.
"She was an awesome dog. She was very protective, and she saved my dad's life," she said.
Gamache said Charles Boudakian and Rhonda LaFleur, the home's other occupant, tried to extinguish the blaze and called 911. They were not injured in the fire, he said.
The fire, which went undetected until Mason woke the occupants, "made significant headway into the home before enough resources arrived to stop the fire's forward progress into the home," Gamache said.
He said the fire is not considered suspicious and that fire officials are "looking at a wood stove" as a possible cause, though no cause for the fire has yet been determined.
- - - - - - - -
Tim Buckland may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Man hit by car, taken to CMC - 0
- Indonesia resumes search for missing AirAsia plane - 0
- NYPD commissioner criticizes officers who turned backs on mayor - 0
- Multiple accidents cause brief power outages across state - 0
- Hampstead man dies in crash on Route 101 in Candia - 0
- Hampstead man dies in Sunday morning accident on 101 West in Candia - 0
- Bomb squad activated after fireworks explosion - 0
- Driver killed in Barrington rollover crash; power restored - 0
- Nashua bomb squad deployed, people evacuated after fireworks explosion - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Jolyon Johnson: Mount Sunapee's expansion is not in NH's best interests - 1
- A good story soothes any savage beast ... at least until Poppop leaves for work - 0
- Pressuring FairPoint: Dems take a safe stand - 1
- Parker scholar cites Inter-Lakes academic advances - 0
- Secret speakeasy returns city to Roaring 20s - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats go through the motions - 0
- In Plaistow, business owner is seeing stars - 0
- New owners of North Woodstock dinner train plan to expand to year-round - 0
- Motivation Matters: Keep New Year's resolutions by choosing the right motivation - 0
Details of Reams inquiry released
DWI License Revocations
A working port: For a working state
Details of Reams inquiry released
Pressuring FairPoint: Dems take a safe stand