Home » News » Public Safety
Dog saves lives, but dies in Manchester fire
MANCHESTER - Mason, a 9-year-old Italian mastiff, died Thursday after saving the lives of the owners of a Sheffield Road home that caught fire early Thursday, District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said.
"We're all pretty heartbroken," said Brooke Boudakian, whose father, Charles, owns the 475 Sheffield Road home that was destroyed Thanksgiving morning. "She was very loved. It was a pretty heroic thing that she did."
A cat also died in the blaze, which destroyed a garage before spreading to the home about 4 a.m. Thursday, Gamache said.
Gamache said the Fire Department has special breathing masks for animals that were donated by the company O2 Fur Life. The animals were found lying next to each other, he said.
"The animals were given oxygen and first aid on the front lawn, unfortunately both animals did not survive," Gamache said. "The pet dog who perished was credited with awakening the occupants of the home, in essence saving their lives."
Brooke Boudakian said she was 11 years old when her family brought Mason, who was one of 13 puppies in her litter, home in 2003.
"She loved playing outside with her toys. She also loved sleeping and loved going for rides," she said.
"She was an awesome dog. She was very protective, and she saved my dad's life," she said.
Gamache said Charles Boudakian and Rhonda LaFleur, the home's other occupant, tried to extinguish the blaze and called 911. They were not injured in the fire, he said.
The fire, which went undetected until Mason woke the occupants, "made significant headway into the home before enough resources arrived to stop the fire's forward progress into the home," Gamache said.
He said the fire is not considered suspicious and that fire officials are "looking at a wood stove" as a possible cause, though no cause for the fire has yet been determined.
- - - - - - - -
Tim Buckland may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
- I-93 crash under investigation - 0
- Body of missing NH man found in Vermont - 0
- Police seeking heroin epidemic answers - 0
- Teen ejected in Candia rollover - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry to receive speed sign through donation - 0
- Judge rejects bid for new trial by ex-Salem planning board member - 0
- Derry councilors vote to expand revitalization zone - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man accused of writing company checks to himself - 0
- Manchester Cub Scout robotics team making plans for world championship - 0
- Judge rejects request to stop auto dealer 'bill of rights' - 0
- Earnings lift S&P 500 and Nasdaq - 0
- Job fair in Littleton - 0
- BIA to honor business leaders - 0
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy