Dinner for everyone on the holiday in Manchester
Brothers Dennis, left, and Michael Garczynski enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner Thursday at Blessed Sacrament Church on Elm Street. Timothy Buckland (TIM BUCKLAND/Union Leader)
MANCHESTER - Blessed Sacrament Church hosted a Thanksgiving dinner Thursday for anyone who wanted a hot meal in the company of others.
"No one should be alone on Thanksgiving," the Rev. John Bucchino said in between calling out table numbers for people waiting to get in line for turkey, potatoes, vegetables, stuffing and trimmings.
Bucchino said anyone was invited. You didn't have to be homeless or poor, he said.
"It's wide open," he said. "Even though many here have means to have a meal or cook for themselves, many of them are alone."
Brothers Michael and Dennis Garczynski enjoyed a meal at the church.
"They're thoughtful for having this meal for the public," Dennis Garzynski said.
The church relied on volunteers to serve the meal and act as ushers after collecting donations of food. He said the parish expected to feed about 200 people Thursday.
A live band was even in the room to provide entertainment.
"We make it like a family day," Bucchino said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- After the election is over, the signs remain - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Shelters provide stable places to rebuild lives - 0
- School's out for voters - 3
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Tenants, landlords trumped by persistent bedbugs - 4
- Neighbors want a sound wall for a wall of highway sound - 0
- Tiny park's got no game — and few visitors - 4
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 18
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Raising a pint for science - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket