Home » News » Public Safety
Gas explosion levels building, injures 8 in Springfield, Mass.
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - An explosion triggered by a gas leak destroyed a building in downtown Springfield Friday, injuring at least eight people although none seriously, police said.
Springfield Police Captain William Collins said the building, a gentleman's club, exploded about 5:25 p.m. as the gas company was looking for a leak under the road.
"The whole building is completely gone," Collins told Reuters by telephone. "The building was leveled ... there was extensive damage to a building across the street."
Eight people injured in the explosion were taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, but none was in critical condition, said hospital spokesman Jane Albert.
The medical center did not expect to receive any more people injured in the explosion, Albert said.
Images on a local CBS affiliate showed buildings with shattered windows, debris scattered in the street, and emergency services entering the area.
A representative of the Columbia Gas company told television station 22News that two employees had been injured in the explosion, but were both expected to survive. Columbia Gas could not be reached for comment.
Witnesses described to local media a massive explosion that shook the ground and sent up a huge cloud of smoke.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms