Pierce leads Celtics over Thunder, 108 - 100
Boston Celtics power forward Jeff Green (8) drives the ball against Oklahoma City Thunder power forward Serge Ibaka (9) during the second half at the TD Garden. The Celtics defeated the Thunder 108-100. (David Butler II-US PRESSWIRE)
Paul Pierce scored 27 points and Jeff Green scored 17 off the bench against his former team as host Boston topped Oklahoma City.
Rajon Rondo handed out 16 assists to stretch his double-digit assists streak to 36, Kevin Garnett collected 18 points and nine rebounds and Jason Terry scored 16 points apiece for the Celtics, who climbed back over .500 and snapped a two-game slide.
Kevin Durant scored 29 points, Russell Westbrook had 26 and eight assists and Serge Ibaka recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds as the Thunder fell for just the second time in their last 10 games.
Terry buried a 3-pointer at the second-quarter buzzer to give Boston a 48-45 lead at the half and Pierce scored seven straight points out of the break to stretch the lead to 55-47. An 11-1 run closing the third quarter sent the Celtics into the final frame with a 77-65 edge.
Boston led by as many as 14 points in the fourth and held a 101-89 edge with 3:27 left before Oklahoma City made things interesting. Durant and Westbrook scored all the points on a 9-0 run to draw within 101-98 before Garnett hit a pair of free throwws and Terry drained a 3-pointer to put it away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins, who came over from the Celtics in the trade that sent Green to Boston, collected five points and nine rebounds against his original franchise. . Boston went 9-of-17 from 3-point range, led by Pierce and Terry at 4-of-6 apiece. . Green led a 35-point effort from the Celtics' reserves.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wounded during Gilford chicken coop raid, bear is euthanized - 3
- Epping dump cats left on their own - 46
- This Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Animal rights group finds butterfly release at kindness rally kind of cruel - 10
- Bald eagle family takes up residence in Manchester - 4
- Auto dealership employees give stray parakeet new lease on life - 0
- Big Cat Coffees website accepts NH Humane Society donations - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Dogs can be taught not to pull on leash - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 11
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840