Pierce leads Celtics over Thunder, 108 - 100
Boston Celtics power forward Jeff Green (8) drives the ball against Oklahoma City Thunder power forward Serge Ibaka (9) during the second half at the TD Garden. The Celtics defeated the Thunder 108-100. (David Butler II-US PRESSWIRE)
Paul Pierce scored 27 points and Jeff Green scored 17 off the bench against his former team as host Boston topped Oklahoma City.
Rajon Rondo handed out 16 assists to stretch his double-digit assists streak to 36, Kevin Garnett collected 18 points and nine rebounds and Jason Terry scored 16 points apiece for the Celtics, who climbed back over .500 and snapped a two-game slide.
Kevin Durant scored 29 points, Russell Westbrook had 26 and eight assists and Serge Ibaka recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds as the Thunder fell for just the second time in their last 10 games.
Terry buried a 3-pointer at the second-quarter buzzer to give Boston a 48-45 lead at the half and Pierce scored seven straight points out of the break to stretch the lead to 55-47. An 11-1 run closing the third quarter sent the Celtics into the final frame with a 77-65 edge.
Boston led by as many as 14 points in the fourth and held a 101-89 edge with 3:27 left before Oklahoma City made things interesting. Durant and Westbrook scored all the points on a 9-0 run to draw within 101-98 before Garnett hit a pair of free throwws and Terry drained a 3-pointer to put it away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins, who came over from the Celtics in the trade that sent Green to Boston, collected five points and nine rebounds against his original franchise. . Boston went 9-of-17 from 3-point range, led by Pierce and Terry at 4-of-6 apiece. . Green led a 35-point effort from the Celtics' reserves.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840