Pierce leads Celtics over Thunder, 108 - 100
Boston Celtics power forward Jeff Green (8) drives the ball against Oklahoma City Thunder power forward Serge Ibaka (9) during the second half at the TD Garden. The Celtics defeated the Thunder 108-100. (David Butler II-US PRESSWIRE)
Paul Pierce scored 27 points and Jeff Green scored 17 off the bench against his former team as host Boston topped Oklahoma City.
Rajon Rondo handed out 16 assists to stretch his double-digit assists streak to 36, Kevin Garnett collected 18 points and nine rebounds and Jason Terry scored 16 points apiece for the Celtics, who climbed back over .500 and snapped a two-game slide.
Kevin Durant scored 29 points, Russell Westbrook had 26 and eight assists and Serge Ibaka recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds as the Thunder fell for just the second time in their last 10 games.
Terry buried a 3-pointer at the second-quarter buzzer to give Boston a 48-45 lead at the half and Pierce scored seven straight points out of the break to stretch the lead to 55-47. An 11-1 run closing the third quarter sent the Celtics into the final frame with a 77-65 edge.
Boston led by as many as 14 points in the fourth and held a 101-89 edge with 3:27 left before Oklahoma City made things interesting. Durant and Westbrook scored all the points on a 9-0 run to draw within 101-98 before Garnett hit a pair of free throwws and Terry drained a 3-pointer to put it away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins, who came over from the Celtics in the trade that sent Green to Boston, collected five points and nine rebounds against his original franchise. . Boston went 9-of-17 from 3-point range, led by Pierce and Terry at 4-of-6 apiece. . Green led a 35-point effort from the Celtics' reserves.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840