Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: A pair of hat tricks lift third-ranked UNH past No. 2 Denver, 6-4
DeSmith's been UNH's main man in net
DENVER – Grayson Downing and Kevin Goumas each scored their first career hat tricks as the third-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team rallied from a early 3-0 deficit to capture a 6-4 win over the No. 2 University of Denver on Saturday night in non-conference action at Magness Arena.
UNH, which is now 5-0-1 in its last six games, improves to 9-1-2 overall. Denver is now 9-3-0 after being swept out by Yale and UNH.
Goumas added a pair of assists for a career-high five points, while six other Wildcats factored in scoring. It marks the first time UNH had two hat tricks in the same game since Jerry Pollastrone and Matt Fornataro did so in the Hockey East quarterfinals against UMass on March 15, 2008.
Jeff Wyer came on in relief of starter Casey DeSmith and stopped 18-of-19 shots in 50:55 of time in net to earn his first collegiate win. Sam Brittain allowed five goals on 30 shots and falls to 4-2-0 on the season.
-- UNH Sports Information
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?