Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: A pair of hat tricks lift third-ranked UNH past No. 2 Denver, 6-4
DENVER – Grayson Downing and Kevin Goumas each scored their first career hat tricks as the third-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team rallied from a early 3-0 deficit to capture a 6-4 win over the No. 2 University of Denver on Saturday night in non-conference action at Magness Arena.
UNH, which is now 5-0-1 in its last six games, improves to 9-1-2 overall. Denver is now 9-3-0 after being swept out by Yale and UNH.
Goumas added a pair of assists for a career-high five points, while six other Wildcats factored in scoring. It marks the first time UNH had two hat tricks in the same game since Jerry Pollastrone and Matt Fornataro did so in the Hockey East quarterfinals against UMass on March 15, 2008.
Jeff Wyer came on in relief of starter Casey DeSmith and stopped 18-of-19 shots in 50:55 of time in net to earn his first collegiate win. Sam Brittain allowed five goals on 30 shots and falls to 4-2-0 on the season.
-- UNH Sports Information
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
- Soccer kings' dominance unparalleled - 0
- (No heading) - 0
- UPDATED: Hopkinton High lacrosse coach Doug Maynard dies - 0
- Windham field hockey prevails in overtime - 0
- Allen Lessels UNH Notebook: And now, no room for error - 0
- High School Roundup - 0
- Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Hanover boys are on a roll - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released