Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: A pair of hat tricks lift third-ranked UNH past No. 2 Denver, 6-4
DeSmith's been UNH's main man in net
DENVER – Grayson Downing and Kevin Goumas each scored their first career hat tricks as the third-ranked University of New Hampshire men's hockey team rallied from a early 3-0 deficit to capture a 6-4 win over the No. 2 University of Denver on Saturday night in non-conference action at Magness Arena.
UNH, which is now 5-0-1 in its last six games, improves to 9-1-2 overall. Denver is now 9-3-0 after being swept out by Yale and UNH.
Goumas added a pair of assists for a career-high five points, while six other Wildcats factored in scoring. It marks the first time UNH had two hat tricks in the same game since Jerry Pollastrone and Matt Fornataro did so in the Hockey East quarterfinals against UMass on March 15, 2008.
Jeff Wyer came on in relief of starter Casey DeSmith and stopped 18-of-19 shots in 50:55 of time in net to earn his first collegiate win. Sam Brittain allowed five goals on 30 shots and falls to 4-2-0 on the season.
-- UNH Sports Information
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Schimpf homers twice, Fisher Cats win in Portland - 0
- Londonderry blanks Exeter for third shutout in a row - 0
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Sen. Rand Paul in NH: Too early for judgments in IRS probe - 1
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name