Lack of winner ups Wednesday's potential Powerball payout to record $425 million
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top prize in the Powerball lottery will reach a record $425 million after no one won Saturday's drawing, a lottery official said Sunday.
Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer said the jackpot was $325 million for the drawing late Saturday. Powerball has not had a winner for two months.
The $425 million record jackpot could be raised before Wednesday's drawing since big payouts tend to spur sales, Neubauer said.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," she said. The cash payout will be a record $278.3 million.
The previous top Powerball prize was $365 million, won in 2006 by ConAgra slaughterhouse workers in Nebraska. The Powerball lottery is held in 42 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
In March, three winning tickets shared the largest U.S. lottery jackpot, the $656 million Mega Millions drawing
The winning Powerball numbers for Saturday were 22-32-37-44-50, and the Powerball was 34.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 2
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 4
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help