Lack of winner ups Wednesday's potential Powerball payout to record $425 million
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top prize in the Powerball lottery will reach a record $425 million after no one won Saturday's drawing, a lottery official said Sunday.
Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer said the jackpot was $325 million for the drawing late Saturday. Powerball has not had a winner for two months.
The $425 million record jackpot could be raised before Wednesday's drawing since big payouts tend to spur sales, Neubauer said.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," she said. The cash payout will be a record $278.3 million.
The previous top Powerball prize was $365 million, won in 2006 by ConAgra slaughterhouse workers in Nebraska. The Powerball lottery is held in 42 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
In March, three winning tickets shared the largest U.S. lottery jackpot, the $656 million Mega Millions drawing
The winning Powerball numbers for Saturday were 22-32-37-44-50, and the Powerball was 34.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice