Lack of winner ups Wednesday's potential Powerball payout to record $425 million
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top prize in the Powerball lottery will reach a record $425 million after no one won Saturday's drawing, a lottery official said Sunday.
Iowa Lottery spokeswoman Mary Neubauer said the jackpot was $325 million for the drawing late Saturday. Powerball has not had a winner for two months.
The $425 million record jackpot could be raised before Wednesday's drawing since big payouts tend to spur sales, Neubauer said.
"We'll watch sales to see if an adjustment upwards needs to be made," she said. The cash payout will be a record $278.3 million.
The previous top Powerball prize was $365 million, won in 2006 by ConAgra slaughterhouse workers in Nebraska. The Powerball lottery is held in 42 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
In March, three winning tickets shared the largest U.S. lottery jackpot, the $656 million Mega Millions drawing
The winning Powerball numbers for Saturday were 22-32-37-44-50, and the Powerball was 34.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 0
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 14
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus