Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in seven-car crash on Interstate 93
SALEM - A seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 93 sent three motorists to area hospitals early Monday morning and tied up traffic for a good part of the commuting hours.
Local police reports indicate the accident occurred just after 5:30 a.m. on the southbound segment of the highway stretching between Exits 1 and 2.
It's unknown at this time what caused the crash, Salem Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney said, though the incident remains under investigation.
One of the vehicles involved caught fire upon impact, Kenney said, though local fire crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes and the driver was safely evacuated.
Kenney described the injuries of the three victims as minor.
Salem fire crews cleared the scene by around 7:20 a.m., with crews from Salem, Windham and Derry responding with ambulances and mutual aid.
Traffic was rerouted down Route 28 as emergency crews worked to clear debris from the roadway.
According to state Department of Transportation officials, all lanes were reopened shortly after 8 a.m., with the highway returning to a normal pace about an hour later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH hires former Attorney General Delaney to investigate reporting delays on athletic improprieties - 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 1
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 5
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal