Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in seven-car crash on Interstate 93
SALEM - A seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 93 sent three motorists to area hospitals early Monday morning and tied up traffic for a good part of the commuting hours.
Local police reports indicate the accident occurred just after 5:30 a.m. on the southbound segment of the highway stretching between Exits 1 and 2.
It's unknown at this time what caused the crash, Salem Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney said, though the incident remains under investigation.
One of the vehicles involved caught fire upon impact, Kenney said, though local fire crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes and the driver was safely evacuated.
Kenney described the injuries of the three victims as minor.
Salem fire crews cleared the scene by around 7:20 a.m., with crews from Salem, Windham and Derry responding with ambulances and mutual aid.
Traffic was rerouted down Route 28 as emergency crews worked to clear debris from the roadway.
According to state Department of Transportation officials, all lanes were reopened shortly after 8 a.m., with the highway returning to a normal pace about an hour later.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs