Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in seven-car crash on Interstate 93
SALEM - A seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 93 sent three motorists to area hospitals early Monday morning and tied up traffic for a good part of the commuting hours.
Local police reports indicate the accident occurred just after 5:30 a.m. on the southbound segment of the highway stretching between Exits 1 and 2.
It's unknown at this time what caused the crash, Salem Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney said, though the incident remains under investigation.
One of the vehicles involved caught fire upon impact, Kenney said, though local fire crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes and the driver was safely evacuated.
Kenney described the injuries of the three victims as minor.
Salem fire crews cleared the scene by around 7:20 a.m., with crews from Salem, Windham and Derry responding with ambulances and mutual aid.
Traffic was rerouted down Route 28 as emergency crews worked to clear debris from the roadway.
According to state Department of Transportation officials, all lanes were reopened shortly after 8 a.m., with the highway returning to a normal pace about an hour later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072