Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in seven-car crash on Interstate 93
Salem crash causes I-93 south traffic jam
SALEM - A seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 93 sent three motorists to area hospitals early Monday morning and tied up traffic for a good part of the commuting hours.
Local police reports indicate the accident occurred just after 5:30 a.m. on the southbound segment of the highway stretching between Exits 1 and 2.
It's unknown at this time what caused the crash, Salem Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney said, though the incident remains under investigation.
One of the vehicles involved caught fire upon impact, Kenney said, though local fire crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes and the driver was safely evacuated.
Kenney described the injuries of the three victims as minor.
Salem fire crews cleared the scene by around 7:20 a.m., with crews from Salem, Windham and Derry responding with ambulances and mutual aid.
Traffic was rerouted down Route 28 as emergency crews worked to clear debris from the roadway.
According to state Department of Transportation officials, all lanes were reopened shortly after 8 a.m., with the highway returning to a normal pace about an hour later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 150
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off