Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in seven-car crash on Interstate 93
SALEM - A seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 93 sent three motorists to area hospitals early Monday morning and tied up traffic for a good part of the commuting hours.
Local police reports indicate the accident occurred just after 5:30 a.m. on the southbound segment of the highway stretching between Exits 1 and 2.
It's unknown at this time what caused the crash, Salem Fire Capt. Timothy Kenney said, though the incident remains under investigation.
One of the vehicles involved caught fire upon impact, Kenney said, though local fire crews had the blaze under control within 20 minutes and the driver was safely evacuated.
Kenney described the injuries of the three victims as minor.
Salem fire crews cleared the scene by around 7:20 a.m., with crews from Salem, Windham and Derry responding with ambulances and mutual aid.
Traffic was rerouted down Route 28 as emergency crews worked to clear debris from the roadway.
According to state Department of Transportation officials, all lanes were reopened shortly after 8 a.m., with the highway returning to a normal pace about an hour later.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 19
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.