Home » News » Public Safety
Salem crash causes I-93 south traffic jam
SALEM - An accident Monday morning shut down a stretch of Interstate 93 South, between Exits 1 and 2, for about two hours and made a parking lot of the area near Exit 3, according to highway officials.
Police officials rerouted traffic at Exit 2, according to a spokesman from the state Traffic Management Center.
The crash was reported at 5:48 a.m. and both state and Salem police responded to the scene, quickly detouring motorists around the crash site. The highway was reopened about two hours later but traffic was still moving slowly.
The area near Exit 3 South about 6:30 a.m. had become somewhat of a parking lot because of the commuter traffic backup and because of a second accident, the spokesman said.
Commuters were urged to find alternate routes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorist struck by car while changing tire on I-93 in Londonderry - 1
- Man, 60, found dead in burned Manchester apartment building; 1-year-old boy rescued - 1
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 1
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Alderman, chief have heated exchange over police residency requirements - 35
- Winter heating season means homeowners need to be alert - 0
- Teen driver hospitalized following accident in Rindge - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 14
- Despite contract provisions, most Manchester police officers live outside city - 25
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 1
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 2
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 2
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison