Home » News » Public Safety
Salem crash causes I-93 south traffic jam
SALEM - An accident Monday morning shut down a stretch of Interstate 93 South, between Exits 1 and 2, for about two hours and made a parking lot of the area near Exit 3, according to highway officials.
Police officials rerouted traffic at Exit 2, according to a spokesman from the state Traffic Management Center.
The crash was reported at 5:48 a.m. and both state and Salem police responded to the scene, quickly detouring motorists around the crash site. The highway was reopened about two hours later but traffic was still moving slowly.
The area near Exit 3 South about 6:30 a.m. had become somewhat of a parking lot because of the commuter traffic backup and because of a second accident, the spokesman said.
Commuters were urged to find alternate routes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester