Home » News » Public Safety
Salem crash causes I-93 south traffic jam
SALEM - An accident Monday morning shut down a stretch of Interstate 93 South, between Exits 1 and 2, for about two hours and made a parking lot of the area near Exit 3, according to highway officials.
Police officials rerouted traffic at Exit 2, according to a spokesman from the state Traffic Management Center.
The crash was reported at 5:48 a.m. and both state and Salem police responded to the scene, quickly detouring motorists around the crash site. The highway was reopened about two hours later but traffic was still moving slowly.
The area near Exit 3 South about 6:30 a.m. had become somewhat of a parking lot because of the commuter traffic backup and because of a second accident, the spokesman said.
Commuters were urged to find alternate routes.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax