Home » Opinion » Editorials
Crazy flood insurance: Encouraging bad decisions
Here is a shocker: The federal government encourages wasteful spending.
We know you know this, but the number of ways in which it does so is never-ending.
Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc along coastal areas, but states will use federal disaster funds to rebuild in the same areas, and the taxpayer will again subsidize homeowners through cheap federal flood insurance that encourages them to rebuild in the same flood-prone areas.
None of this makes sense, especially with our current federal debt. Besides the flood insurance program, which Congress is finally looking at, the federal government pays 75 percent of the cost of storm-damaged infrastructure to states and localities.
And the states and localities keep right on rebuilding infrastructure in questionable areas.
New Hampshire shouldn't just tsk, tsk, however. The Granite State bellies up to the federal bar and requests disaster relief for everything from high winds to snowstorms.
This has got to stop. It will, of course, when we are all bankrupt.
READER COMMENTS: 46
- Ignorance abounds: Obamacare and small businesses - 25
- Mayor development: Growth and a Manchester city office - 1
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 27
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty