Home » Opinion » Editorials
Crazy flood insurance: Encouraging bad decisions
Here is a shocker: The federal government encourages wasteful spending.
We know you know this, but the number of ways in which it does so is never-ending.
Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc along coastal areas, but states will use federal disaster funds to rebuild in the same areas, and the taxpayer will again subsidize homeowners through cheap federal flood insurance that encourages them to rebuild in the same flood-prone areas.
None of this makes sense, especially with our current federal debt. Besides the flood insurance program, which Congress is finally looking at, the federal government pays 75 percent of the cost of storm-damaged infrastructure to states and localities.
And the states and localities keep right on rebuilding infrastructure in questionable areas.
New Hampshire shouldn't just tsk, tsk, however. The Granite State bellies up to the federal bar and requests disaster relief for everything from high winds to snowstorms.
This has got to stop. It will, of course, when we are all bankrupt.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name