Home » Opinion » Editorials
Crazy flood insurance: Encouraging bad decisions
Here is a shocker: The federal government encourages wasteful spending.
We know you know this, but the number of ways in which it does so is never-ending.
Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc along coastal areas, but states will use federal disaster funds to rebuild in the same areas, and the taxpayer will again subsidize homeowners through cheap federal flood insurance that encourages them to rebuild in the same flood-prone areas.
None of this makes sense, especially with our current federal debt. Besides the flood insurance program, which Congress is finally looking at, the federal government pays 75 percent of the cost of storm-damaged infrastructure to states and localities.
And the states and localities keep right on rebuilding infrastructure in questionable areas.
New Hampshire shouldn't just tsk, tsk, however. The Granite State bellies up to the federal bar and requests disaster relief for everything from high winds to snowstorms.
This has got to stop. It will, of course, when we are all bankrupt.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School group favors opening JROTC at Nashua high school - 0
- Athletics Dept. employee at UNH fired over 'invasion of privacy' - 0
- Loeb School spring classes include travel writing - 0
- Windham ready to open a 'Little Shop of Horrors' - 0
- Salem to decide fate of $75m school proposal - 0
- Allenstown parents mobilize to stave off $1 million school budget cut - 0
- Busy week for voters in Hollis, Brookline - 0
- Nashua to debate school spending - 0
- Test scores tell tale of one city, several towns - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 8
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again