Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Dartmouth fraternity treasurer guilty of embezzling $800,000
BURLINGTON, Vt. - The former treasurer of a Dartmouth College fraternity was sentenced to 18 months in prison for wire fraud in connection with the embezzlement of $800,000 from that group and another nonprofit organization.
Bruce McAllister, 79, of Post Mills, was sentenced Monday in U.S. District Court and was ordered to pay a little more than $800,000 in restitution.
He is to begin his sentence Jan 8.
McAllister was the treasurer for Alpha Theta House and The Meccawe Club, a hunting and fishing club in Bridgewater.
He stole at least $800,000 over a 25-year period by transferring funds from the groups' bank accounts into accounts he controlled, according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney's Office.
McAllister's embezzlement came to the attention of federal authorities after the fraternity and the hunting club filed civil lawsuits against him, according to a report in The Dartmouth. When he was dismissed from his job overseeing the fraternity's accounts, officials discovered that Alpha Delta had only $98.92 in its bank account, the college newspaper reported.
McAllister received a lighter sentence than the 31- to 41-month range under non-binding sentencing guidelines. Authorities said that was because he has significant medical problems including dementia, bladder cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and kidney blockage.
Judge William K. Sessions III recommended McAllister be confined at the Bureau of Prison's medical facility in Massachusetts.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Man, woman charged in 3 Kensington burglaries - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424