All Sections

Home | Crime

State's chief homicide prosecutor visits Bedford police

New Hampshire Union Leader

November 27. 2012 2:43PM
A Bedford police cruiser blocks off Proclamation Court Sunday, hours after one resident was seriously injured after a burglar entered a home Saturday night. (DAMIEN FISHER/UNION LEADER)

BEDFORD - The chief homicide prosecutor in New Hampshire, Jane Young, visited Bedford police today, as the department continues its investigation into the assault against a Manchester anesthesiologist and his wife at their Bedford home Saturday night.

Young and Lt. James Geraghty, commander of the Major Crimes Unit, left the Bedford Police Department about 11 a.m. Tuesday. Young referred questions about the case to Bedford police or Hillsborough County Attorney Dennis Hogan.

'Because this is New Hampshire,' Young said when asked why she was in Bedford.

Police Chief John Bryfonski said he had nothing new to release in the investigation involving the assault against Eduardo and Sonia Quesada. Eduardo, an anesthesiologist, received serious head wounds in a Saturday night assault at his upscale home at 7 Proclamation Court. As of Monday night, he was at Elliot Hospital, although officials at the hospital won't confirm he is there or give any description of his medical condition. His wife, whose injuries were less severe, was undergoing medical treatment Monday.

Bedford police have said the initial call at the home involved a burglary, but they have since said they have not ruled out other explanations for the assault.

The New Hampshire Attorney General, whose office investigates homicides in New Hampshire, does make appearances when police investigate life-threatening assault cases. However, it doesn't take over an investigation unless the victim dies.

Previous story follows:

BEDFORD - Although initial indications were that an anesthesiologist and his wife were injured during a burglary, police are not ruling out other explanations for the Saturday night assault at the home of Eduardo Quesada, a home where a domestic-related arrest took place a year earlier, the town police chief said today.

Quesada and his wife, Sonia Quesada, remained under medical treatment today, one of them with serious head injuries inflicted during what police initially believed was a burglary at their home at 7 Proclamation Court, Police Chief John Bryfonski said this afternoon.

"That (burglary) was the initial indication. We're not ruling in, we're not ruling out, any possibilities," he said. It is dangerous for investigators to do so in any investigation, he said.

Bryfonski confirmed that an arrest was made at the address in November 2011 following a call for a domestic disturbance. He said charges were dismissed and he thinks the arrest was annulled, a process that wipes clean any official record of the arrest. A subsequent Right-to-Know request submitted to Bedford police for records of that arrest and accompanying reports turned up nothing.

Quesada is an anesthesiologist at Amoskeag Anesthesiology, a Manchester-based pratice located on Elliot Way in Manchester.

"We are all very concerned for Dr. Quesada's health and well-being and hope that he makes a full recovery from his injuries. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family," Elliot Hospital said in a release issued early this afternoon. The release said Quesada has worked closely with Elliot staff since 2000.

Meanwhile, police continued to investigate the crime, which resulted in what police described Sunday as massive head injuries to a 52-year-old male who owns the home at 7 Proclamation Court.

Bryfonski characterized the investigation as a "full court press" and said Bedford detectives, New Hampshire State Police and the Hillsborough County Sheriff Department are involved.

He said police have a person of interest in the case, but no one has been identified.

"If I had a name, I would give you a name," he said.

"There is nothing that we have that would suggest any of our residents in Bedford are any less safe than they usually are," Bryfonski said. He said, however, that residents should always be mindful of their surroundings and circumstances and contact police if they see anything suspicious.

Built in 2007, the Quesada house has been listed for sale for $1.4 million and is under contract, according to its listing website with the Bean Group. The site shows a elaborate house with timber-framed walls and cathedral ceilings, a wine cellar, flagstone fireplaces in a den and living room, a master bedroom with a third fireplace and south-facing view. The listing also said the house has a security system.

The 2.7 acre grounds include an inground pool, terraced stonework, granite steps and porch railings separated by flagstone pillars.

The crime scene van of the state police Major Crime Unit was parked in Quesada's driveway this afternoon. Police came in and out of the house wearing protective boot coverings. Others wore full body suits.

"We want to bring all forces to bear on cases that are appropriate to do so," Bryfonski said.

The young child who was in the house at the time of the assault has been turned over to a family member, he said.

Several neighbors told the New Hampshire Union Leader they heard nothing suspicious Saturday night.

With leaves off the trees, the rear of the Quesada house is visible from Spring Hill Road. Tom Tamulevich, who lives on Spring Hill Road, said police took impressions of a tire track from the shoulder of the road, which is a short 250 feet to the Quesada house.

Tamulevich said he let his Jack Russell terrier outside about 10 p.m. on Saturday - the time of the call to the Quesada house. When something is amiss, the dog barks, but it did nothing Saturday night, he said.

He brushed off any fears of home invaders in Bedford, in part because most people in the neighborhood have alarm and security systems.

"Everyone's too much on guard," he said.

Human Interest Public Safety Crime Bedford Top Section Stories

More Headlines