Home » Sports » Sports Awards
Golfer's honor follows Union Leader mulligan
Keene golfer Chelso Barrett gets nod as October Athlete of the Month
Morgan Andrews had such a memorable month of October that we inadvertently broke the rules for her.
The Milford High senior was the original choice as the October Athlete of the Month as voted by the New Hampshire Union Leader Board of Judges after enjoying success for the Spartans in both soccer and football.
But, as they say in football, after further review ...
Andrews was not eligible for the award because she already had been named Athlete of the Month for her soccer achievements back in May.
The long-standing provision that limits athletes to winning the monthly award once in a calendar year is based on the principle of highlighting as many athletes from New Hampshire as we can and avoiding having the award dominated by a small group.
The end result is that we are able to shine the spotlight on more extraordinary athletes from our state accomplishing extraordinary feats. In addition, the Board of Judges gets a full ballot of 12 athletes to consider for our male and female Red Rolfe Athlete of the Year awards.
Chelso Barrett, along with Morgan Andrews, is now eligible to be so honored.
We promise to make sure of that.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 2
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
- Nurse said Exeter Hospital is making her a ‘scapegoat’ in hepatitis case - 0
- Derry council defends officials' purchases - 0
- Nashua librarian reports E-books flying off virtual shelves - 0
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Milford team wins seatbelt challenge
Bruins seek repeat effort and complete sweep
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands