Home » Sports » Sports Awards
Golfer's honor follows Union Leader mulligan
Keene golfer Chelso Barrett gets nod as October Athlete of the Month
Morgan Andrews had such a memorable month of October that we inadvertently broke the rules for her.
The Milford High senior was the original choice as the October Athlete of the Month as voted by the New Hampshire Union Leader Board of Judges after enjoying success for the Spartans in both soccer and football.
But, as they say in football, after further review ...
Andrews was not eligible for the award because she already had been named Athlete of the Month for her soccer achievements back in May.
The long-standing provision that limits athletes to winning the monthly award once in a calendar year is based on the principle of highlighting as many athletes from New Hampshire as we can and avoiding having the award dominated by a small group.
The end result is that we are able to shine the spotlight on more extraordinary athletes from our state accomplishing extraordinary feats. In addition, the Board of Judges gets a full ballot of 12 athletes to consider for our male and female Red Rolfe Athlete of the Year awards.
Chelso Barrett, along with Morgan Andrews, is now eligible to be so honored.
We promise to make sure of that.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NFL-sponsored health program honors Milford High School staff - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- UNH defensive tackle Jared Smith chosen by Seattle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats piece puzzle together - 0
- Texans tap Londonderry's Griffin in NFL Draft - 1
- Patriots make LB, WR top draft picks - 0
- Vikings make NFL Draft splash with three first-round picks, huge trade with Pats - 0
- Top pick Fisher leads linemen's march at NFL Draft - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Patience a virtue for Pats - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 1
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 27
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time