Home » News » Public Safety
Three injured in head-on crash on Route 108 in Newfields
NEWFIELDS - Police believe driver inattention sent three people to the hospital following a head-on collision along Route 108 Wednesday morning.
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel were called at 9:57 a.m. after a Nissan Maxima, driven by Christine Scholz, 26, of Exeter, reportedly crossed the centerline and struck a Toyota Camry, driven by Raymond Sharp, 58, of Stratham, near the entrance of the cemetery, according to Police Chief Art Reed.
Based on witnesses, Reed said he believes the Maxima was headed south while the Camry was headed north.
"Her car drifted over the double line and they hit head-on," Reed said, adding it is still unclear what caused the car to drift.
After firefighters used hydraulic cutting tools to free Sharp's passenger - Dennis Ball, 62, of Stratham, from the Camry, Reed said crews from Newmarket Ambulance tooks all three people to Exeter Hospital.
Reed said he believes Scholz, who wore her seatbelt, appeared to have more serious injuries than the two men. He added Sharp and Ball, who may have hit their heads against the windshield, were not wearing seatbelts.
As the injuries appeared to be non-life threatening, Reed believes Sharp and Ball could be released from the hospital before Scholz, but he has not heard an update about their status.
Reed said he'll continue to investigate what led to the crash.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 9
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 7
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride