Home » News » Roads and Travel
Bridge in Belmont reopens after 3-month closure
BELMONT - The Church Street Bridge over the Tioga River has been repaired and it's open to traffic again.
The bridge was closed on Aug. 23 after a routine state inspection of the bridge by the Department of Transportation found corroded steel culverts and other signs of wear that made it unsafe, state officials said.
The bridge is adjacent to Monument Square near the center of Belmont Village. Built in 1975, it connects one of the busiest roads in town.
Town officials acted quickly to repair the bridge, contracting Busby Construction for the $125,575 project.
The town used money from capital reserve funds to pay for it.
They set a goal of having the bridge reopen by Thanksgiving, and it opened Nov. 21.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
- Londonderry names assistant superintendent - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax