Bridge in Belmont reopens after 3-month closure
BELMONT - The Church Street Bridge over the Tioga River has been repaired and it's open to traffic again.
The bridge was closed on Aug. 23 after a routine state inspection of the bridge by the Department of Transportation found corroded steel culverts and other signs of wear that made it unsafe, state officials said.
The bridge is adjacent to Monument Square near the center of Belmont Village. Built in 1975, it connects one of the busiest roads in town.
Town officials acted quickly to repair the bridge, contracting Busby Construction for the $125,575 project.
The town used money from capital reserve funds to pay for it.
They set a goal of having the bridge reopen by Thanksgiving, and it opened Nov. 21.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- On being American: A point for reflection - 13
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 13
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 6
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 65
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins
Hot deals, warm shoppers
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record