Agent: Coach O'Brien not leaving Penn State
Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien is not planning on leaving the school, his agent said Tuesday.
"(O'Brien) is staying, and we've had no conversations with anyone else," Joe Linta told ESPN.com. "In fact, he's leaving at 6 in the morning tomorrow to go out on the recruiting trail."
O'Brien has just finished his first season at the school, compiling an 8-4 record while dealing with the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal as well the death of his legendary predecessor, Joe Paterno and unprecedented NCAA sanctions.
ESPN reported that rumors of the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator's departure began after he say if he was returning when asked by a newspaper reporter.
O'Brien has a nine-year contract with Penn State and the first five years are worth a total of $12 million. ESPN reported his buyout would require him to pay back an equal amount to the base salary he is owed.
"Bill O'Brien will not be punished as a result of Penn State's actions prior to him agreeing to the contract," Linta said.
Linta said he hopes to renegotiate bowl bonuses for O'Brien with the Nittany Lions banned from post-season play for four years.
Linta said it was unfair that O'Brien has lost 15 scholarships for the next four years as part of the NCAA penalty.
"There are 10 kids left each year that won't get scholarships now," Linta said. "It's not like the NCAA gave an extra 10 scholarships to Boston College."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 21
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 8
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Celtics hammer Knicks - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840