Agent: Coach O'Brien not leaving Penn State
Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien is not planning on leaving the school, his agent said Tuesday.
"(O'Brien) is staying, and we've had no conversations with anyone else," Joe Linta told ESPN.com. "In fact, he's leaving at 6 in the morning tomorrow to go out on the recruiting trail."
O'Brien has just finished his first season at the school, compiling an 8-4 record while dealing with the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal as well the death of his legendary predecessor, Joe Paterno and unprecedented NCAA sanctions.
ESPN reported that rumors of the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator's departure began after he say if he was returning when asked by a newspaper reporter.
O'Brien has a nine-year contract with Penn State and the first five years are worth a total of $12 million. ESPN reported his buyout would require him to pay back an equal amount to the base salary he is owed.
"Bill O'Brien will not be punished as a result of Penn State's actions prior to him agreeing to the contract," Linta said.
Linta said he hopes to renegotiate bowl bonuses for O'Brien with the Nittany Lions banned from post-season play for four years.
Linta said it was unfair that O'Brien has lost 15 scholarships for the next four years as part of the NCAA penalty.
"There are 10 kids left each year that won't get scholarships now," Linta said. "It's not like the NCAA gave an extra 10 scholarships to Boston College."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840