Agent: Coach O'Brien not leaving Penn State
Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien is not planning on leaving the school, his agent said Tuesday.
"(O'Brien) is staying, and we've had no conversations with anyone else," Joe Linta told ESPN.com. "In fact, he's leaving at 6 in the morning tomorrow to go out on the recruiting trail."
O'Brien has just finished his first season at the school, compiling an 8-4 record while dealing with the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal as well the death of his legendary predecessor, Joe Paterno and unprecedented NCAA sanctions.
ESPN reported that rumors of the former New England Patriots offensive coordinator's departure began after he say if he was returning when asked by a newspaper reporter.
O'Brien has a nine-year contract with Penn State and the first five years are worth a total of $12 million. ESPN reported his buyout would require him to pay back an equal amount to the base salary he is owed.
"Bill O'Brien will not be punished as a result of Penn State's actions prior to him agreeing to the contract," Linta said.
Linta said he hopes to renegotiate bowl bonuses for O'Brien with the Nittany Lions banned from post-season play for four years.
Linta said it was unfair that O'Brien has lost 15 scholarships for the next four years as part of the NCAA penalty.
"There are 10 kids left each year that won't get scholarships now," Linta said. "It's not like the NCAA gave an extra 10 scholarships to Boston College."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840