Home » News » Public Safety
Search resumes for man who disappeared into Merrimack River
HUDSON - Authorities are resuming a search this morning for a man who jumped into the Merrimack River Wednesday night as a police detective approached him.
The incident began about 6:40 p.m. when police were called to the Maple Avenue and Fulton Street neighborhood for a report of a man breaking into cars.
According to a police news release, residents chased the man away from Maple Avenue, but a resident later found him inside a car on Fulton Street.
The man ran and police began an extensive search for him. A police detective, checking under Veteran's Bridge, noticed a man standing on the river's edge. As the detective approached him, the man waded into the river and started swimming upstream.
The officer lost sight of him and while police immediately began searching the riverbank for him, they did not locate the man or find evidence that he had left the water.
Hudson and Nashua firefighters arrived on the scene with boats, and a river search was launched. The man still was not found, and later a New Hampshire State Police K-9 team was brought in but again with no results.
Authorities are resuming the search Thursday morning, with the help of New Hampshire Fish and Game.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident or with a missing family member who could have been in the Hudson area to call them at 886-6011.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads