Home » News » Public Safety
Search resumes for man who disappeared into Merrimack River
HUDSON - Authorities are resuming a search this morning for a man who jumped into the Merrimack River Wednesday night as a police detective approached him.
The incident began about 6:40 p.m. when police were called to the Maple Avenue and Fulton Street neighborhood for a report of a man breaking into cars.
According to a police news release, residents chased the man away from Maple Avenue, but a resident later found him inside a car on Fulton Street.
The man ran and police began an extensive search for him. A police detective, checking under Veteran's Bridge, noticed a man standing on the river's edge. As the detective approached him, the man waded into the river and started swimming upstream.
The officer lost sight of him and while police immediately began searching the riverbank for him, they did not locate the man or find evidence that he had left the water.
Hudson and Nashua firefighters arrived on the scene with boats, and a river search was launched. The man still was not found, and later a New Hampshire State Police K-9 team was brought in but again with no results.
Authorities are resuming the search Thursday morning, with the help of New Hampshire Fish and Game.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident or with a missing family member who could have been in the Hudson area to call them at 886-6011.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty