Home » News » Public Safety
Ga. trucker injured in Franconia Notch crash
FRANCONIA - A section of Interstate 93 just north of Franconia Notch was closed for more than two hours Thursday after a tractor trailer jackknifed during a snowstorm.
Richard Dugas, 52, of Dewy Rose, Ga., lost control of the 2009 International Truck, which was towing an empty trailer, as he was driving north about 6:15 p.m. on the highway.
The tractor trailer unit jackknifed, hit a guardrail on the right side of the road and spun around, unhitching the trailer.
Dugas was ejected in the crash and was transported to Littleton Regional Hospital to be treated for lacerations, according to a news release issued by New Hampshire State Police.
At the time of the crash, police said it was snowing heavily and roads were slippery. The crash remains under investigation but preliminary indications are that Dugas was traveling at a an excessive speed for existing conditions, state police said.
I-93 was closed on the northbound side of I-93 for more than two hours and traffic was diverted at Exit 34C while the tractor trailer was removed.
State police were assisted at the scene by Franconia police and fire, and the state Department of Transportation.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Trooper Meredith Favreau at Troop F at 603-846-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 16
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it