Home » News » Public Safety
Ga. trucker injured in Franconia Notch crash
FRANCONIA - A section of Interstate 93 just north of Franconia Notch was closed for more than two hours Thursday after a tractor trailer jackknifed during a snowstorm.
Richard Dugas, 52, of Dewy Rose, Ga., lost control of the 2009 International Truck, which was towing an empty trailer, as he was driving north about 6:15 p.m. on the highway.
The tractor trailer unit jackknifed, hit a guardrail on the right side of the road and spun around, unhitching the trailer.
Dugas was ejected in the crash and was transported to Littleton Regional Hospital to be treated for lacerations, according to a news release issued by New Hampshire State Police.
At the time of the crash, police said it was snowing heavily and roads were slippery. The crash remains under investigation but preliminary indications are that Dugas was traveling at a an excessive speed for existing conditions, state police said.
I-93 was closed on the northbound side of I-93 for more than two hours and traffic was diverted at Exit 34C while the tractor trailer was removed.
State police were assisted at the scene by Franconia police and fire, and the state Department of Transportation.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Trooper Meredith Favreau at Troop F at 603-846-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Coming bad weatherpostpones NHIAA tourney contests - 0
- Middlebrooks homers; Red Sox win, lose one - 0
- Waterville Valley town clerk saying goodbye to post - 0
- Kids get out and vote in Weare - 0
- Hollis voters set to gather for annual Town Meeting Wednesday - 0
- Turnout light in Derry as of early afternoon - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon' - 4
- Sheriff, chief question Shaheen’s recent vote on controversial Obama nominee - 0
- Low turnout seen in early Lakes Region polling - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus