Home » News » Public Safety
Search resumes for man who jumped into river in Hudson
HUDSON - Authorities are resuming a search this morning for a man who jumped into the Merrimack River on Wednesday night as a police detective approached him.
The incident began about 6:40 p.m. when police were called to the Maple Avenue and Fulton Street neighborhood for a report of a man breaking into cars.
According to a police news release, residents chased the man away from Maple Avenue but he was later found in a car on Fulton Street by a resident.
The man ran and police began an extensive search for him.
A police detective, checking under Veteran's Bridge, noticed a man standing on the river's edge. As the detective approached him, the man waded into the river and started swimming upstream.
The officer lost sight of him and while police immediately began searching the riverbank for him, they did not locate him or find evidence that he had left the water.
Hudson and Nashua firefighters arrived on scene with boats and a river search was launched but the man still was not found.
A New Hampshire State Police K-9 team was also brought in but, again, no one was found.
Authorities are resuming the search Thursday morning, with the help of New Hampshire Fish and Game.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident or with a missing family member who could have been in the Hudson area to call them at 886-6011.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Fire rips through Rochester industrial complex - 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dowd's goal wins for Manchester - 0
- John Habib's City Sports:'Moment' is here: Derryfield CC renovation begins - 0
- Driver charged with DWI after mayhem on I-293 - 0
- Department of Employment Security sends confidential ID info to wrong firms - 0
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 0
- Man, 86, struck by car while crossing street in Manchester - 0
- Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding - 0
- Hot deals, warm shoppers - 0
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
Day Three in the dark for many in NH
Man allegedly tries to run over officer in Manchester, police van crashes while responding
Derry holiday parade to be held today
Hamilton's OT goal wins for Bruins
Hot deals, warm shoppers