Home » News » Public Safety
Search resumes for man who jumped into river in Hudson
HUDSON - Authorities are resuming a search this morning for a man who jumped into the Merrimack River on Wednesday night as a police detective approached him.
The incident began about 6:40 p.m. when police were called to the Maple Avenue and Fulton Street neighborhood for a report of a man breaking into cars.
According to a police news release, residents chased the man away from Maple Avenue but he was later found in a car on Fulton Street by a resident.
The man ran and police began an extensive search for him.
A police detective, checking under Veteran's Bridge, noticed a man standing on the river's edge. As the detective approached him, the man waded into the river and started swimming upstream.
The officer lost sight of him and while police immediately began searching the riverbank for him, they did not locate him or find evidence that he had left the water.
Hudson and Nashua firefighters arrived on scene with boats and a river search was launched but the man still was not found.
A New Hampshire State Police K-9 team was also brought in but, again, no one was found.
Authorities are resuming the search Thursday morning, with the help of New Hampshire Fish and Game.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident or with a missing family member who could have been in the Hudson area to call them at 886-6011.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Election Day hotline established to report suspected voter fraud, abuse - 1
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
- Two accused of trafficking women in Hampton, Hooksett and Manchester - 0
- 'Fugitive of Week' captured in Hooksett - 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four
School's out for voters