Home » News » Public Safety
Search resumes for man who jumped into river in Hudson
HUDSON - Authorities are resuming a search this morning for a man who jumped into the Merrimack River on Wednesday night as a police detective approached him.
The incident began about 6:40 p.m. when police were called to the Maple Avenue and Fulton Street neighborhood for a report of a man breaking into cars.
According to a police news release, residents chased the man away from Maple Avenue but he was later found in a car on Fulton Street by a resident.
The man ran and police began an extensive search for him.
A police detective, checking under Veteran's Bridge, noticed a man standing on the river's edge. As the detective approached him, the man waded into the river and started swimming upstream.
The officer lost sight of him and while police immediately began searching the riverbank for him, they did not locate him or find evidence that he had left the water.
Hudson and Nashua firefighters arrived on scene with boats and a river search was launched but the man still was not found.
A New Hampshire State Police K-9 team was also brought in but, again, no one was found.
Authorities are resuming the search Thursday morning, with the help of New Hampshire Fish and Game.
Police ask anyone with information about the incident or with a missing family member who could have been in the Hudson area to call them at 886-6011.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 0
- Standing up for Salvation: Ringing the bell in the cold is a tough job - 0
- Man charged in Manchester stabbing - 1
- Hampstead home invasion suspect wants evidence tossed - 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 1
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose