Home » News » Public Safety
Jackknifed tractor-trailer in Franconia shuts down I-93 for more than two hours
FRANCONIA - A section of Interstate 93 just north of Franconia Notch was closed more than two hours Thursday after a tractor-trailer jackknifed during a snowstorm.
Richard Dugas, 52, of Dewy Rose, Ga., lost control of the 2009 International truck, which was towing an empty trailer, as he was driving north about 6:15 p.m.
The unit jackknifed, hit a guardrail on the right side of the road and spun around, unhitching the trailer.
Dugas was ejected in the crash and was transported to Littleton Regional Hospital to be treated for lacerations, according to a news release issued by New Hampshire State Police.
Police said snow was falling heavily and roads were slippery at the time of the crash.
The accident remains under investigation but preliminary indications are that Dugas was traveling at excessive speed for existing conditions, state police said.
Northbound I-93 was closed more than two hours and traffic was diverted at Exit 34C while the tractor-trailer was removed.
State police were assisted at the scene by Franconia police and fire and the state Department of Transportation.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Trooper Meredith Favreau at Troop F at 846-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- More than 100 NH doctors victims of identity theft, tax fraud - 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing