Home » News » Public Safety
Jackknifed tractor-trailer in Franconia shuts down I-93 for more than two hours
FRANCONIA - A section of Interstate 93 just north of Franconia Notch was closed more than two hours Thursday after a tractor-trailer jackknifed during a snowstorm.
Richard Dugas, 52, of Dewy Rose, Ga., lost control of the 2009 International truck, which was towing an empty trailer, as he was driving north about 6:15 p.m.
The unit jackknifed, hit a guardrail on the right side of the road and spun around, unhitching the trailer.
Dugas was ejected in the crash and was transported to Littleton Regional Hospital to be treated for lacerations, according to a news release issued by New Hampshire State Police.
Police said snow was falling heavily and roads were slippery at the time of the crash.
The accident remains under investigation but preliminary indications are that Dugas was traveling at excessive speed for existing conditions, state police said.
Northbound I-93 was closed more than two hours and traffic was diverted at Exit 34C while the tractor-trailer was removed.
State police were assisted at the scene by Franconia police and fire and the state Department of Transportation.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Trooper Meredith Favreau at Troop F at 846-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty