Home » Opinion » Editorials
Unserious Democrats on the nation's debt
How serious are Democrats about balancing the nation's budget? On Thursday, President Obama offered Republicans a plan to avoid the fiscal cliff: $1.6 trillion in tax increases, $400 billion in spending cuts, $50 billion in new spending, and unilateral presidential authority to raise the debt ceiling. "The offer lacks any concessions to Republicans," The Washington Post reported.
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen helpfully illustrated the Democrats' attitude during an interview with MSNBC on Tuesday. After saying that no sacred cows should be spared when it comes to reducing the federal debt and avoiding the fiscal cliff, she said we should "take Social Security off the table."
"Social Security has not contributed to the debt and the deficits," Shaheen asserted. That is false. Social Security benefits payments have been greater than its revenues since 2009. Last year Social Security ran a $46 billion deficit. "Now, Social Security is sucking money out of the Treasury," The Washington Post reported in October of 2011.
Democrats want substantial tax hikes, paltry spending cuts and unsustainable entitlement spending left largely untouched.
This is what passes for fiscal seriousness on the eve of President Obama's second term.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Inspiring sight in downtown Nashua on Good Friday - 0
- Salem church's Guatemala mission brings blessings - 0
- St. Margaret’s to remember veterans - 0
- Copter egg drop set - 0
- Passover marks time to celebrate faith, history - 0
- Construction begins on new Kingdom Hall for Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Manchester - 2
- Office of Tenebrae at St. Joseph’s - 0
- Communal Seder set for 1st day of Passover - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing