NFL-Chiefs' game will be played as scheduled, team says
Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher this morning on December 1, 2012, shot and killed his girlfriend before going to Arrowhead Stadium and fatally shooting himself as team personnel tried to stop him, police said. In this December 11, 2011, file photo Kansas City Chiefs inside linebacker Jovan Belcher (59) is shown during the NFL game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium. ((Chris Szagola/Cal Sport Media/Zuma Press/MCT))
The Kansas City Chiefs' NFL game against the visiting Carolina Panthers will be played as scheduled on Sunday despite the deaths of their linebacker Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend, the team said on Saturday.
The 25-year-old Belcher shot Kassandra Perkins at their home on Saturday morning, then drove to the team's training facility near Arrowhead Stadium and turned the gun on himself, police said.
"After discussions between the league office, Head Coach Romeo Crennel and Chiefs team captains, the Chiefs advised the NFL that it will play tomorrow's game vs. the Carolina Panthers at its originally scheduled time," the Chiefs said in a statement.
The game, matching the 1-10 Chiefs and 3-8 Panthers, is scheduled to start at 1 p.m Eastern time (1800 GMT). (Reporting by Gene Cherry in Salvo, North Carolina; Editing by Ken Ferris)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840