Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Pats down Dolphins, 23-16, win AFC East title
Wes Welker caught 12 passes, including a 7-yard touchdown toss from Tom Brady, and visiting New England won its sixth straight game to clinch the AFC East title for the fourth straight season.
The NFL's highest-scoring team never really got its high-octane offense in gear, but it also never trailed in the game. Stevan Ridley (19 carries, 71 yards) opened the scoring on a 2-yard run on the Patriots' first possession, and New England used a seven-minute, 16-play drive in the fourth quarter that was capped by Stephen Gostkowski's third field goal to put the game out of reach.
Brady was 24-of-40 for 238 yards, most of which went to Welker. The wideout finished with 103 yards receiving and tied Jerry Rice's NFL record of 17 games with double-digit catches. Brady surpassed Joe Montana for the most division titles (10) by a quarterback.
Welker dropped a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter and the Patriots had to settle for a 32-yard field goal by Gostkowski to take a 20-10 lead. Miami answered on its next drive with a 33-yard kick by Dan Carpenter with 8:50 to play, cutting the deficit to 20-13 before the Patriots' ensuing time-consuming drive sealed things.
Quarterback Ryan Tannehill scored on a 2-yard run to get Miami within 17-10 before halftime. He finished 13-of-29 for 186 yards.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Brady now has the longest active streak of passing for at least one touchdown in a game. He has thrown a scoring pass in 44 consecutive games. Drew Brees' record streak of 54 games came to an end on Thursday. … Brady threw an interception in the first half, his first since Week 6. … Miami LT Jake Long suffered a torn triceps in the first half and is done for the season. …Reggie Bush carried 15 times for 64 yards for the Dolphins.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Voter restrictions: Who will govern us? - 26
- School board papers: Beaudry gets left behind - 1
- Data overreach Are programs really justified? The weak case for PRISM. - 11
- A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely - 8
- Border security? Maybe, some day, perhaps. Or not - 35
- Priority profs: University system tops HHS - 5
- Recognizing father: Not PC, but still OK - 1
- Closing Hanover St.: Not a 'free market' move - 6
- Step into the past: Discover old NH this weekend - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time