Monarchs edge Springfield on the road, 2-1
The Manchester Monarchs defeated the host Springfield Falcons 2-1 in American Hockey League action Saturday night.
Manchester improved to 10-7-3 while Springfield fell to 11-4-4.
The Monarchs will host Portland today at 3 p.m. at Verizon Wireless Arena in another VIP Cup series game.
Manchester fell behind 1-0 in the first but came back with a pair of goals in that period and then made it stand up 24 hours after squandering a 3-0 third period lead at home in an eventual 5-4 loss Friday.
Both teams went with backup goaltenders in the game and both turned in big efforts. Manchester's Peter Mannino made 19 saves to pick up his third win of the season. Paul Dainton made 27 stops for Springfield.
The Falcons took a 1-0 lead at 11:13 of the first period on a power-play goal from Cam Atkinson. Mannino made two saves but Atkinson was able to pop the third try in.
The Monarchs tied the game at 13:40 on Dwight King's second tally of the season. Dainton made the save on a Thomas Hickey shot, but King was there to bang the rebound in.
Manchester went ahead 2-1 at 15:50 of the first on a Linden Vey goal. Rookie Tanner Pearson set up the goal with a pass to Vey in the slot.
David Meckler nearly gave the Monarchs a two-goal lead, breaking away shorthanded in the final seconds of the first period before firing a shot wide of the net.
The second period played out scoreless, but Manchester notched another near-miss again late in the frame.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl